 CAD / Development / 9047
Re: Proposed solution for mirrored parts and studs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 00:41:09 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs wrote:
3. If any mirrored studs are detected, the tool creates copies of the sub-files
that reference the mirrored studs (with new names), and replaces references to
studs in these files with a reference to a mirrored stud file (say
p/studmirr.dat).  (Handling arbitrary levels of sup-parts will take some work,
but you get the general idea.)

In stead of referencing studmirr.dat, why not simply use a mirrored reference to stud.dat?

I'll look into that.  I thought it would be easier to reference the other file,
but thinking about it again, I guess I should be able to multiply the mirror
matrix by the stud matrix to get the correct final matrix anyway.  (Or would
that be multiplying the stud matrix by the mirror matrix?)

Assuming I can produce such a tool, does anyone see any reason why there should
be any concession to mirroring in the parts library itself?

If all parts in the parts library were "fixed" to not used mirroring I think that would
benefit most users, who simply build models of standard parts and use normal submodels.

On the one hand, I agree with this.  On the other, I'm not sure if it's the best
route for the part library.  But I suppose the part library authors and admins
are probably the best judge of that.

--Travis