 CAD / Development / 8960
8959  |  8961
Subject:
Idea for an ldraw related program
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:17:08 GMT

I'm a user of both Lego CAD programs and the sticker
printer program and thought that it might be possible to
combine some of the functionality into one program.

My Idea
-------

With the ldraw parts library you have a large number of
patterned parts, generally lego themselves would have
printed on these parts directly. Would it be possible to
create a program that rendered the flat patterned face of
a part in 2D suitable for printing (onto sticker paper).

Example
-------

You have lots of blue 2x2 45 degree slope bricks but
no 2x2 blue 45 degree computer bricks. You could use
the program to select the computer pattern, select a
blue background and print off some stickers. This stops
your spacemen have to use abaci to defeat the evil
M-Tron menace. This also means you could use the
colour selector to create patterned stickers in colours
that never really existed :-), e.g. Orange and Green
classic space torsos.

Future
------

If I could find some example source of rendering a ldraw
part in 2D I could probably write this myself ... but I'm
very slow at programming personal things [1]. If anyone
else wants to have a crack at it or has any more ideas
go for it.

Peter

[1] Programming a work generally means the last thing I
want to do at home is program :-)