 CAD / Development / 8898
Re: Ldraw.Org Spec 1.0.0 Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 15:36:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:

The ultimate aim of the LSC is to compile and consolidate all of the LDraw
related file format definitions into one document (1.0.0) and then, once the
initial work is done, solicit ideas to further extend or modify the file format.

I'm not sure about the 'into one document' part, but I'll agree with the
rest.

More basically, we've got a number of different 'flavors' of the LDraw
language floating around.  I think it would be most useful to have one
or more documents that outline specific flavors of the language.  The
0.27 and 1.0.0 document approach is a good start.

As I see it, here are some of the dialects of the LDraw GDL:

- The core LDraw language, consisting of the definition of the six
  linetypes (comments, subfiles, hard edges, triangles, quads, and soft
  edges).
- The base language implemented by LDRAW.EXE and LEDIT.EXE, which
  includes the core language + the defined search path + the STEP, SAVE,
  PAUSE, PRINT/WRITE, and CLEAR/CLS meta-statements.  This flavor (or
  dialect or layer) defines the part library, the p-file resource, and
  provides a break between model files and part files.
- Compatible extensions to the language -- this is the base language +
  other meta-statements.  Files which use compatible extensions can
  still be successfully rendered by LDRAW/LEDIT.  Examples of compatible
  extensions include the LDLite COLOR meta-statement, the IFL3P
  meta-statement family, the standard LDraw.org part file header, and
  BFC.
- The language allowed in official part files.  This is a subset of the
  compatible extensions.  Most meta-statements are not allowed, even
  those that are in the base language.  Also, there are restrictions on
  color usage and subfile referencing that don't apply to the language
  in general.
- Incompatible extensions to the language.  These are variations of the
  compatible language that result in files that can not be rendered in
  LDRAW/LEDIT.  There are actually several different incompatible
  extensions, because the different extensions are not all
  cross-compatible.  Examples of incompatible exensions include the MPD
  format, MLCAD colors, and various LDLite language extensions.

That said, having tow separate documents, 1.0.0 for meta commands which is
modifiable by the LSC and 0.2.7 for the LDraw/LEdit program which is fixed,
would not allow the LSC to, say, add a linetype for polygons or modify the
way we define colors.  Have one large document (or several small linked
documents) would allow us to move forward much easier.

But having two layers, with a fixed base layer and a changed top layer,
is the actual situation we are in right now.  Having two documents would
clearly document this.

However, we certainly could include the 0.27 documentation in the 1.0.0
document.

Any changes that would essentially break the existing language would be
a huge change in direction, and should be in yet another document
(2.0.0?).  With the work Jacob did on LDraw II some years ago, we've
already got a start on such a document.

Steve