 CAD / Development / 8893
Re: LPub open source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:17:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague writes:
Yes. I know and agree.  As I've said before LPub *will* be opened
sourced.  I promise.  It is a question of when.

I'd like to get it to a certain level (the page layout and compact
PLIs is probably it (maybe language neutral add-on interface for
pre/post processing)) before I open source it.

Trust me, there's always going to be something else you should do before
releasing the source.  My personal favorite excuse that the code
"just needs to be cleaned up a bit first".  Since that's not as much
fun as adding cool new features, it's never gonna happen.

Once I open source it, the first thing I'd like to do
is make it multi-platform.  Never done such a thing, but I'm sure I'll
learn a lot, so that makes it worth it.

I don't want to go to sourceforge with it right now, unless someone is
going to help with it in its current (and unfortunate) Borland only form.

You know the more work you put into a proprietary interface, the harder
it gets to pull yourself out of it.  It's like quicksand.  Now if you
put the current code on the sourceforge, there's nothing to stop you
from continuing in your downward spiral into Borland proprietary hell.
Meanwhile it's possible for someone else to take a look at the code and
start working with it.  Plus you get to use CVS to track your changes
if you want.  Where's the downside to that?

Don