 CAD / Development / 8525
Re: Calling all Meta-commands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 00:26:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Ross Crawford wrote:

Why not force comments to be a meta-command like MLcad does with WRITE? Then
the only problem you have is new files created with Ledit, and old files
which will need to be converted. And Ldraw would still handle them OK.

Rosco,

Unfortunately, MLCAD's use of WRITE is a really bad example, because MLCAD
is mis-using an already standard meta-command.  Plus, 0 WRITE statements
are not allowed in official parts, so any part authors who create their
files in MLCAD (poor devils) have to go through and remove any WRITEs
afterwards.

This is all because to LDraw, 0 WRITE is an action statement -- it displays
the text at the top of the screen.

I'm not against a tag for comments, I just haven't seen one I like.  They
are either too long (0 COMMENT) or too techy (0 //).

Maybe something as simple as a hyphen?
   0 - This is a comment
   0 This is the meta-command 'THIS'.

Steve