 CAD / Development / 8157
Re: Parts Tracker Email Notification System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 21:11:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Damien Guichard wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Bernd Broich writes:
Thanks for this tool. I got such a message after I send a
fixed part (one of mine) to the tracker. So I think this is
the right way, but I think there is no message necessary when I
change a part that is from me.

I am notified simply because I have reviewed (not have been reviewed), that
is a little too much, isn't it?

I don't know, is it?  I never was able to decide what was the right
level of announcements.  I'm open to input on this point. :)

This topic  (how much notification to give) just came up in real life
requirements, so pardon the following ranting...

Notification to my way of thinking serves two purposes... confirming the
expected (we expect a part to progress through stages) and alerting the
unexpected (we DON'T expect someone to check in a modified version of a part
we think is as good as it's going to get).

In an ideal world notification control would be quite fine grained... each
person should be able to set a default for all parts they authored, and for
all parts they have reviewed... then let them drill in for specific parts to
make the notification more, or less.

Right now, for the parts I authored (none of which have had enough reviews
yet to be approved) I would want to know any time anyone did ANYTHING (even
downloading a copy to review)... but then I have very few parts... someone
that's done hundreds would drown in that level of noise... (insert shameless
plea that people review my patterns so they can get released! :-) )

Also allow rules around notifications that are time driven (after a part has
went more than a certain time with no activity, turn UP the notification
level if something is done to it, because that's a "surprise"). Also allow
notification rules around WHO did the change. If someone outside a certain
set of people does something to a part I authored, notify me (because that's
unexpected). If someone outside of who has been doing things so far to a
part does someting, notify me (again, unexpected).... etc. etc. etc.

That's the ideal world. It's probably hugely overkill to have that
finegrained control.

Realistically, probably letting individuals set their global preference for
parts they authored (or replaced) and for parts they reviewed is probably
plenty, without individual part level overrides or rules about people or times.

All IMHO of course.