 CAD / Development / 807
806  |  808
Subject:
MPD Parts? (and a confession)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:24:51 GMT

Okay, so it is easy to display an MPD file, but what do people think about
allowing part files to be MPDs?

This would allow making the sub-parts that are related to a part to be
packaged with the part.  The trick is how to determine what file an MPD
partname is defined in.  If you call LDLite with the MPD as an argument the
problem is resolved since all of the parts in the MPD are loaded & available,
but if a model refers to a partname that is in an MPD which file do you look
in?  My best guess is to say that MPDs can be used as parts _but_ the filename
must be the same as the first partname in the MPD, and when the MPD is loaded
all parts in the MPD are loaded.  But this could lead to problems when someone
perverse uses the first part from the MPD and also uses some other part from
the MPD.  This alone is not problematic, but when they decide to stop using
the first part but keep the second around, they get a file not found error.

And my confession, I am using LDraw (& friends) for evil.  I am not modelling
Lego but rather Rokenbok (see http://www.limey.net/~fiji/rokenworld/ for
details).  And the Rokenbok beams are not really Lego like so that I can't use
the regular LDraw primatives.  And all of the Rokenbok parts are slightly
different sizes so I can't make a new set of generic Rokenbok primitives, but
since each part has some symmetry I have sub parts that are related to the
whole part family (the beams come in different sizes, where the sizes are
determined by how many blocks long they are).  But it would be convenient to
make the sub-parts part of the part file that they are used by rather than
clutter the "name space" of parts with all sorts of irrelevant sub parts.

The solution to the above may be to just suck it up and make them separate
file and just use the SubPart tag to prevent the namespace from being
cluttered.  But I am not sure where to find the "official" definition of the
Part/SubPart Official/Unoffical tags (I don't think the FAQ helps).

                          -ben