 CAD / Development / 809
Re: MPD Parts? (and a confession)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 19:48:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:24:51 GMT, "Ben Bennett" <sink@limey.net> wrote:

Okay, so it is easy to display an MPD file, but what do people think about
allowing part files to be MPDs?

I suggested this for LDraw2.  I think Jacob is including some variation of
this idea.

Cool.  I have it implemented and it works tolerably well.

And my confession, I am using LDraw (& friends) for evil.  I am not • modelling
Lego but rather Rokenbok (see http://www.limey.net/~fiji/rokenworld/ for
details).

Cool!  I thought about modeling K'nex in LDraw, but never pursued the idea.
K'nex is even further from LEGO than Rokenbok -- K'nex has no
compatibility.

Rokenbok is mostly not compatible, only the plates have the requisite nubs on
them.  But that is cool since you can build any Lego construction off the
plates and use the many existing Lego parts (the main reason I chose LDraw was
to allow access to all the cool Lego parts).

[ Regarding how to do the Rokenbok Subparts ]
You could:

- Just store your common files in the current LDraw\p directory.  This will
keep them out of the parts-catalog namespace. • ...
- Put the subfiles in LDraw\parts\s.  This directory is used for subfiles
which are not used for many different parts.  But to reference a file in
LDraw\parts\s, you have to include s\ as part of the filename.  Part 2593
is one example of this.

The main problem with the subparts is that they are completely have exposed
sides that only get closed when combined with the other subparts (rotational
symmetry) so they are more like primitives except that they can only be used
by specific parts, so they are specific primitives.  So I don't want to put
them in or under the parts directory since they are dangerous, and they are
not sufficiently generic for me to considert them primitives.  So maybe I will
put them in p/rok directory to note that they are special cases.

          -ben