 CAD / Development / 7787
Re: Post-processing huge [POV] text files in Delphi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 16:17:00 GMT

"Tore Eriksson" <tore.eriksson@mbox325.swipnet.se> skrev i meddelandet
[...]
I find this method quite fool-proof, but not very effective, especially • when
processing POV files that often reach the size of 12 Mb and more. But I • only
know how to do this in C; in Delphi I use ReadFromFile and SaveToFile that
are extremely easy to use but tend to fail when files are larger that 64k
(or was it even 32k depending on with object the file content is read
into?).

My first attempt would be to use a TStringList:

with TStringList.Create do
try
  LoadFromFile(...);
  {edit the lines, insert, delete and so on...}
  SaveToFile(...);
finally
  Free;
end;

I use this method for all sizes of files, and have never been bitten by a
size limit. Of course, you shouldn't try it on files bigger than available
RAM, as it will get quite slow (but still works up to the size of your
virtual memory). The 32k(64k) limit occurs only when reading directly to a
Windows control (ListBox, Memo, etc).

Next step would be TStream (TFileStream), but you can't insert into it, so
you'll have to do it with two streams, just like your two-file approach.

You can also read the whole file into *one* string! And then work like the
two-file case, but on two strings in memory.

OTOH, perhaps a string processing language like AWK would be better suited
for your purpose?

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery/index.htm