 CAD / Development / 7784
Re: Post-processing huge [POV] text files in Delphi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 16:10:55 GMT

Thanks Roland!

I think that's exactly what I was looking for.

Sometimes I wish there were a dictionary or cross-reference for people that
know what a keyword is named in one programming language. Pressing F1 is a
good thing - but only when you know which word too look for... :o/

Thanks for your super-quick response!
/Tore

In lugnet.cad.dev, Roland Melkert writes:
You could use the 'text' type and process the reading and writing line
by line manly insteat by using tstringlist, I asume.

quick code for quick copy:

var infile, outfile: text;
     line: string;

assignfile(infile, 'bigfile.pov');
reset(infile);
assignfile(outfile, 'bigfile.~pov');
rewrite(outfile);

while not eof(infile) do
begin
   readln(infile, line);
    //do something with line
   writeln(outfile, line);
end;

closefile(infile);
closefile(outfile);

You can also look into blockread and blockwrite in combination with type
'file' or tfilestream for binary reads and writes. It's harder to work
with strings then but it is much faster working with buffers.

Roland

Tore Eriksson wrote:
Very often, I have just changed a little detail in a model converted to POV
by L3P. Then after I run the model through L3P again, I have to manually set
all the modifications not handled by L3P arguments again.

I try to make a utility program to fix this problem automatically, but there
is a problem.

I have never been any good at making programs that are able to handle large
files. Afraid of making memory alloction mistakes and too lazy to learn
about it, I just the let my programs:
* read the file line by line
- edit/insert line if needed
- copy line into a temp file
* finally, if temp file is different from original file
- delete original file
- rename temp file into original file's name
* if more files to process then open next and so on

I find this method quite fool-proof, but not very effective, especially when
processing POV files that often reach the size of 12 Mb and more. But I only
know how to do this in C; in Delphi I use ReadFromFile and SaveToFile that
are extremely easy to use but tend to fail when files are larger that 64k
(or was it even 32k depending on with object the file content is read into?).

Any help would be greatly appreviated.
/Tore