 CAD / Development / 7587
Re: Smoothing on part level using edge lines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:49:41 GMT

"Jacob Sparre Andersen" <sparre@nbi.dk> wrote in message
Martijn Zwaal wrote:

If you check out the big space dish (3961.dat) [...]
there are no optional lines.

Shouldn't that be fixed at some point?

This doesn't have to be fixed because the visual effect wil be marginal in
programs like ldraw.exe (that actually use optional lines for drawing) and
it wil only slow them down.

This is the same with the inside of the hands of the minifigs.

I disagree. No optional lines are needed on inside curves.

I am not saying that optional lines are to be placed on inside curves. That
would be wrong. I only made a suggestion to Travis Cobbs on how he could
improve smoothing in LDView. His program could asume that all edges contain
optional lines except for the edges marked by a  'line with color 24'. His
program uses optional lines too see where the surface is curved. With this
asumption his program might smooth inside curves or parts like 3961.dat.
There is already enough information in the dat files to smooth them
correctly so they do not have to be changed. It's better to keep changes to
dat files to a minimum because many programs depend on them in very
different ways.

Martijn Zwaal