 CAD / Development / 7583
Re: Smoothing on part level using edge lines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:20:20 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Martijn Zwaal wrote:

If you check out the big space dish (3961.dat) [...]
there are no optional lines.

Shouldn't that be fixed at some point?

This is the same with the inside of the hands of the minifigs.

I disagree. No optional lines are needed on inside curves.

I tend to agree with Jacob, but if the big space dish were
transparent, optional lines on the concave surface could actually
be seen when viewing them through the convex side.  However, I
fiddled with this once upon a time and I think it adds too much
information to the transparent rendering and ends up just
confusing me when I look at it.

It's definitely not worth it when you consider the bloat this
will add to the parts.

I tend to prefer the idea of automatically calculating the nifty
smoothing based on the absence of hard edges.  We just need an
algorithm.

Don