 CAD / Development / 6417
Re: "Tore's" boxes, special file naming instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:55:36 GMT

Tore:

Not a full suggestion, but just a thought. I've thought about
calling them "minimized" parts, and maybe the extention .min
intead of .box.

There is a problem though. I have two different areas in
which I could use different levels of simplification: One is
making life easier for POV-Ray without any visible
interference. The other is for example replacing a pine tree
with a cone; a very visible replacement, but not so crude as
setting Quality=0 in POV-Ray (for example).

To have both .box and .min would be a solution, but probably
too complicated.

Except that the extensions "box" and "min" don't seem to
correspond to the two concepts, it might be a good idea to
identify the simplification level based in the file name
extension.

But since the file format is (I assume) still the ordinary
LDraw format, it is slightly misleading to introduce two more
extensions for the format. Why not look at how it is done with
the LDraw primitives, where we store the primary version of the
primitives in "${LDRAWDIR}/p/" and special versions of the same
primitives in "${LDRAWDIR}/p/48/"?

* The plain POV-Ray friendly part descriptions can be embedded
   in the ordinary LDraw files with the "if povray"-directives
   (can't remember the exact syntax).

* Parts with some surfaces hidden could be put in for example
   "${LDRAWDIR}/parts/t-lrfr/", where the letters refer to the
   visible surfaces (top, bottom, left, right, front, rear) and
   the minuses mark the hidden surfaces. "------" would just be
   empty files, "-blrfr" would typically have the top studs
   removed and "--lrfr" would reduce to boxes for plain bricks.

* Parts simplified so far that they look slightly different
   could be put in "${LDRAWDIR}/parts/simplified/".

Just another idea...

Play well,

Jacob