 CAD / Development / 6232
Re: LDLite 2.2 Released
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 02:09:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing writes:
Don Heyse wrote to Paul Gyugyi...
How about looking in the working directory first, then in the LDRAW
directory?  MLCAD also looks in the working directory for config type
files, but I really think the LDRAW directory is a more natural place
for this stuff.  Especially on Windows, which is typically a single user
system.  On a unix system I'd say search the current directory,
the HOME directory, the directory of the executable, followed by the
the LDRAW directory.

Please see http://home16.inet.tele.dk/hassing/l3p.html#searchpath

  1. Inside the document if it is an MPD
  2. The document's directory (the directory of the main model)
  3. %LDRAWDIR%\P
  4. %LDRAWDIR%\PARTS
  5. %LDRAWDIR%\MODELS

This search strategy seems reasonable for a DAT file, but I thought
this was more along the lines of a resource file where you would put
global defaults in a well known place like the %LDRAWDIR% directory.
Then for multiuser systems you could override the global defaults with
personal default settings in location like the users HOME directory
on a unix system.  This is a bit trickier for windows systems.  My
list above just went from what I considered to be the most personal
to the most global.  I guess the searchpath for DAT files goes from
most local to most global.  To me there's a subtle difference between
personal and local.

But maybe that's just me...

Don