 CAD / Development / 6215
Re: Rotate, pitch, yaw, or roll?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 18:53:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Erik Olson writes:
What verbs are better for describing rotation about the standard axes?

Rotate is usually understood as spinning about the vertical axis.
There are aeronautical terms for the other two, pitch and yaw, and I can't
remember which is which, so I'm using pitch and roll, even though for a
brick there are no clear front back or sides.

I just had to pick some names for menu commands. For the verbally challenged
there will be mouse tools for the job anyway...

Couldn't you just specify "rotate X axis" "rotate Y axis" rotate Z axis"?
Something a'la most 3D apps, with an XYZ key visible in the model window
would help with this (could be toggled on/off).

Matt