 CAD / Development / 6170
6169  |  6171
Subject:
Demo of part manipulation in isometric view
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 00:40:11 GMT

Hello again (long time no post).

I'm in the process of developing my own DAT-based CAD program.  One of the
things that frustrates me about MLCAD is the apparent inability to drag
parts around inside the isometric view--you're forced to use an orthagonal
view.

I wrote a program to demonstrate how I intend to allow part manipulation in
the isometric view of my CAD system.  In it, you can move parts in the
horizontal plane by dragging with the left mouse button, and you can move
parts vertically by dragging with the right mouse button.

If anyone is interested in testing this interface to see how well it could
work, you can download the demo at this url:

http://www.wizardhat.com/demo/Demo.exe

Pretend that the yellow cube is a 1x1 brick. :)  The simple graphics are
something that I just cobbled together for the demo, and should not be taken
as an indication of what the final product will look like.

Comments are most appreciated.  (Is this part-moving method usable, or is it
awkward?)  Of course the user will eventually have the ability to move parts
using the keyboard, or by dragging in an orthagonal view, or from an
alternate isometric view.

-Gary