 CAD / Development / 6040
Re: "33" Slope Shocker... Possible name change?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 15:27:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:

Yes, I am planning on doing a mass name-change, but after the automated
Parts-Tracker is up and running.

And the angle is precisely arctan(0.5), or about
26.565051177077989351572193720453[1] degrees.

For the part names, 27 is accurate enough, I think.

Steve, I'm thinking it would be of more use to name the parts
using a "Rise/Run" method, like in architecture.  When using
the LEGO pieces the important thing is not the actual angle on
the sloped face, anymore than it is the actual height, length,
or whatever in mm or something.  Since we already reference
all of the linear dims in terms of "LEGO units", should we not
do the same for angular dims, for consistency?

I would also argue beyond consistency to say it's more practical.
I don't need to know the actual angle on the face of a sloped brick.
I need to know what horizontal and vertical distances it will cover
when building.  So to me:

"Slope Brick 1/2 3x2 Inverted"

would be more consistent and meaningful than today's:

"Slope Brick 33 3x2 Inverted"

where "1/2" above means "Rise of 1 to Run of 2".

Additionally there is the whole deal where (if I understand
correctly) the actual linear dimensions used in .DAT files is
not the same as those on actual LEGO parts.  Therefore if you
reference an angular dimension in the part name, it either has
to match the real part or the .DAT, and that causes confusion.
Keeping things in "LEGO units" by using Rise/Run values
eliminates this confusion.  And of course there's the bit where
the slope of the actual brick face is not the same as the slope
made by a stack of those bricks, due to the little "step" at
the "sharpest point" of each sloped brick.

With today's names, I admit that I have become quite comfortable
with things like "Slope 45" and "Slope 33".  But where this becomes
meaningless to me is with all the specialty slopes now where
the angles are things like Slope 10, 18, 53, 65, and 75.

"Slope Brick 10 6x8" doesn't mean much to me, but
"Slope Brick 1/6 6x8" does.  It tells me the brick is 1-high,
and there are no studs on top.

Comments?
KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada