 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 2525
2524  |  2526
Subject:
"33" Slope Shocker... Possible name change?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 19:45:29 GMT

Greetings.
     I have made a new discovery that may seem all too obvious to everyone else
who has actually programmed elements in LDraw or MLCAD. My discovery is as
follows:
     All bricks listed as having a 33-degree slope are not named with correct
values. I always wondered what the slope on these bricks really were,
considering that the LEGO S.A.H.S. catalogs listed them as 25-degree slopes,
possibly to throw off their competitors. This was further compounded when I was
not able to angle a pattern right so that it would fit onto a "Slope Brick 33
3 x  2". Today, I used AutoCAD to resolve my problem. Upon creating and
dimensioning a replica of that piece, as well as the 4 x 2 and 2 x 2 slopes, I
found out that the resulting angle was 27 Degrees. Yes, "vingt-sept".

     Now that this is known, will have a significant change on things? I don't
know. I'm not even sure where the 33-degree idea came from. Maybe it was a
mistake that somebody missed years ago. But that mistake has become a standard.
Even though the SAHS catalogs list them as 25 degree slopes (closer to the
magic number than 33) -- and have been for years, LCad-emics have been building
to  the list value of 33 degrees.
I would like to propose a massive name change affecting quite a bit of the
Slope category from "Slope Brick 33..." to "Slope Brick 27...". This will make
it easier on later builders and resolve a whole bunch of confusion. It should
take affect starting with the next LDraw parts upgrade. Such a change will make
it easier for other creators to develop "roof tiles".

     -- James Jackson
     "The other 'James J.'"