 CAD / Development / 5880
Re: Question about generating curves
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:07:27 GMT

"Joseph Cardana" <jcardanas@home.com> wrote in message
news:G6xJvM.JIv@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Franklin W. Cain writes:

<snip>

<snip>

Franklin

Franklin,

    Your quite a humorus man.  What the hell did you just say!  Please • allow
me to explain why I'm laughing.  I didn't graduate high school, I don't • have
a GED but even with an IQ of 168, I still don't know how to use the
conditional line.
    I fully understand the concept of using large amounts of small lines • to
simulate a curve.  I can do that using a bunch of regular lines. How is • the
conditional line special?

Conditional lines are used to show the outer boundary of a curved
_surface_.  Consider a cylinder.  Between each quad that forms the
cylinder there must be an edgeline.  But you only want that edgeline to
render if it's one of the outside edgelines (if it forms the outer bound
of the cylinder).

I've noticed there are two lines. One is the
color I select and the other is a dark pink. If I move the primary line • as a
whole, the secondary line stays stationary. If I rotate the line, they • both
rotate.

I'm not sure what you are using for a viewer, but the first two sets of
coordinates (x,y,z) in the type 5 line define the conditional edgeline.
The second two sets of coordinates are the points used to decide if the
edgeline gets rendered.  If (from the current viewpoint) both points are
on the same side of the edgeline, then the edgeline gets rendered.  If the
two points are on opposite sides of the edgeline, the edgeline doesn't get
rendered.

    I haven't picked apart any other parts, subparts, or primitives.  Is
there any that I could use as an example?

Take a look at the 4-4cyli.dat.

-John Van