 CAD / Development / 5876
Re: Question about generating curves
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 04:45:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Franklin W. Cain writes:

<snip>

Now, with regards to "conditional" (i.e., type-"5") lines,
think about the 3-D ramifications of using multi-angled planes
to simulate a curved plane (the 3-D extrapolation of the 2-D
principle of using angles for curves mentioned above).
A "true" curved plane doesn't really have "edges"
(with regards to its curvature, that is), but when using
these angled planes, sometimes one of the folds of the angled plane
will also be an edge of the model/shape itself.
For example, imagine the ubiquitous D20, a 20-sided die.
Let's pretend we're using this to _simulate_ a sphere.
A true sphere has a circular "edge" line (which we could call
a horizon, perhaps), but the d20 does not have a nice, neat
circular border, does it?  Depending on which two points
you're holding it by, and which face(s) are pointing towards you,
that determines which of the actual edge-lines would need
to be drawn in order to simulate our horizon.
Does this help any?

<snip>

Franklin

Franklin,

    Your quite a humorus man.  What the hell did you just say!  Please allow
me to explain why I'm laughing.  I didn't graduate high school, I don't have
a GED but even with an IQ of 168, I still don't know how to use the
conditional line.
    I fully understand the concept of using large amounts of small lines to
simulate a curve.  I can do that using a bunch of regular lines. How is the
conditional line special?  I've noticed there are two lines. One is the
color I select and the other is a dark pink. If I move the primary line as a
whole, the secondary line stays stationary. If I rotate the line, they both
rotate.

    I haven't picked apart any other parts, subparts, or primitives.  Is
there any that I could use as an example?

Joe