 CAD / Development / 5860
Re: LDraw color codes needed for rendering program
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 16:46:20 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Gary Williams wrote:

Is there a definitive list of color code assignments somewhere that I can
use?

The LDraw FAQ is the definitive list.

Over a year ago, I mentioned on this list that I was considering making a
new Lego CAD program for Windows and Linux, but until now I've been really
pressed for time.  This weekend I finally resumed the project and got the
rendering engine working. :)

Way cool.  We can never have too many Lego CAD programs.

Apparently not all LDraw color codes are specified in the LDraw FAQ ... and
some that are, are missing the RGB assignments (for instance: 11, 3, 12, 5).

(oops-the RGB for #5 is in the list)

I'd look to Suzanne's excellent chart at <http://www.baseplate.com/colors/>
for RGB values that aren't listed in the LDraw FAQ.  Note that Suzanne has
recorded as-correct-as-possible color values, while the LDraw FAQ values
are sometimes skewed for usability purposes.

Code 39 is used by the car.dat file that is included with LDraw, but it
seems to be missing from the FAQ.

Code 39 was the color James Jessiman used for Clear (code 47).  It is also
used as the clear color in some composite window-parts.  It is no longer
common to use code 39 for Clear (ie, I don't know of anyone who does this).

Oh, here's a screenshot for those who are interested, but it's nothing
special.

http://www.wizardhat.com/temp/screenshot.gif

The rendering looks like it's coming along nicely!

Steve