 CAD / Development / 4979
Re: Excessive(?) use of Sub-parts (Was: New Part - 30200 Windscreen...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:44:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Tore Eriksson writes:

I am just a little concerned about the rapidly increasing number of files we produce. It gets harder to overview.

Oh, you're not going to be happy with the next update...

I know nothing about rendering program's cacheing and what effect usage of
sub-files have.

With a good caching strategy, subfiles should make a net improvement in
performance.

There has to be a balance, sub-parts can surely be very handy many times.
For example, I think Steve's subpart s/4186a.dat is very good as it makes the
4186 Baseplate part file at least 40 times smaller. But a primitive with, say
8 x 8 studs would have been more gereric and could decrease the size of many
more part files.

For that part (the original soccer field baseplate), a small
grid of studs was not very useful.  I did try it.

The differences may be of academic importance*, but me I'm interested in not
having too many files that aren't real part files.

There are specific reasons for having multi-part files.  Sometimes it's a
requirement, sometimes it's a judgement call.

And if one day we'll have a live update system of part files, I think all
these sub-part files could likely mess things up.

It's possible, but I don't think it will be a problem.  A live system would
most likely not care about the 'file type', it would just administer files.

*) Academic importance - do you have that idiom? I'm talking about things
that make no noticable difference, but academic
people can spend years discussing and adding points of view...

Yep, we've got that one.  "It's academic".

Steve