 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 1472
Re: New Part - 30200 Windscreen 6 x 6 Octagonal Canopy Base Subpart 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:47:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Paul Easter wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Tore Eriksson writes:

Why three files for one part?

I see very little reason for not inlining 30200s01 into 30200 (else then
saving 21 kb file size), and I see no reason at
all for not just pasting 30200s02 into 30200s01 first. Are these sub-parts
going to be re-used in another part, or could
they be differently coloured from the rest of the part?

ah...no, not different colors, and  doubt they will be re-used.
ok. after inlining, the part grows from 24kb to to 42kb. Is that acceptable?
I was under the impression that we were to try to keep the size of files to
to a minium. Mostly for program cacheing. If this is not so, then I will
need to inline the 30209 file as well, also the unposted 30190 wheel as well.

Keep in mind that for disk storage, the actual space taken is somewhat more
than the actual filesize.  For larger files, this extra space is
insignificant.  But for smaller files, the extra can really add up,
depending on the exact situation.

For example, if the cluster size of a hard drive is 32K, all files will use
at least 32K, even if the actual data is much smaller.  So in the case of a
3-file part, the actual disk-space needed is 96K.

Some caveats around this example:

Drives which use the NT file system (can't remember the right acronym,
sorry) or FAT32 (ie, most drives on Win98 systems) will tend to be less
susceptible to this problem.

Oh, by the way... did anybody notice the part origin on this part? I tried
to keep it the same as the mockup. I this needs to be changed, let me know.

I'd definitely realign the part.  The origin should be top-center.

The only other realistic candidate for the origin would be to center on the
hinge.  But that would be too weird, I think.

Also if Anyone else (including Tore ;-)  )believes this part needs to
inlined, let me know as well.

I'd definitely inline s\30200s02.dat.  There's only 1 reference to it, so
having a separate file is not going to save any storage space.

Inlining the whole thing, based on disk space, is a judgement call.  In this
case, I'd say the potential savings from having multiple files are
negligible, and I'd inline.

BUT, I'd also stash a copy of the un-inlined files somewhere.  Just in case.

Heck, with most parts I author, there're cleanup changes needed to take the
part from finished-working to ready-for-publishing.  So I have an archive
directory with the final working copies of all my parts.  Uninlined, with
all comments (if any) and sometimes very colorful. :)

Steve