 CAD / Development / 4978
4977  |  4979
Subject:
Excessive(?) use of Sub-parts (Was: New Part - 30200 Windscreen...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:30:01 GMT

Paul Easter wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Tore Eriksson writes:
Why three files for one part?

ah...no, not different colors, and  doubt they will be re-used.
ok. after inlining, the part grows from 24kb to to 42kb. Is that acceptable?
I was under the impression that we were to try to keep the size of files to
to a minium. Mostly for program cacheing. If this is not so, then I will
need to inline the 30209 file as well, also the unposted 30190 wheel as well.

I am just a little concerned about the rapidly increasing number of files we produce. It gets harder to overview.
I know nothing about rendering program's cacheing and what effect usage of sub-files have.

There has to be a balance, sub-parts can surely be very handy many times.
For example, I think Steve's subpart s/4186a.dat is very good as it makes the 4186 Baseplate part file at least 40 times
smaller. But a primitive with, say 8 x 8 studs would have been more gereric and could decrease the size of many more part
files. I don't know whether this would have any negative or positive effect on the rendering speed and resource consumption
of different renderers...
The differences may be of academic importance*, but me I'm interested in not having too many files that aren't real part
files. And if one day we'll have a live update system of part files, I think all these sub-part files could likely mess
things up.

Oh, by the way... did anybody notice the part origin on this part? I tried
to keep it the same as the mockup. I this needs to be changed, let me know.
Also if Anyone else (including Tore ;-)  )believes this part needs to
inlined, let me know as well.

Paul

--
Tore Eriksson
Sweden

ICQ: 76066510
LEGO: MOC++++ FS,SP,TO++ TC+ LS YB@m

*) Academic importance - do you have that idiom? I'm talking about things that make no noticable difference, but academic
people can spend years discussing and adding points of view...