 CAD / Development / 4335
Re: Performance Improvement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 13:47:40 GMT

Oops ! wrong links.

Since the BFC discussion has everything to do with performance improvement,
I would like to propose the following changes to the primitives:

-  4-4disc.dat
-  2-4disc.dat

Remove the point which lies in position (0,0,0), because it's NOT required and
it adds significant overhead processing (every stud has an extra NOT
required point)

The primitives can still be constructed with triangles, just remove the point
(0,0,0) and remake the triangles in a fan like manner.

See these image grabs from my prog.
All triangles are in white, all quads are in grey.

the normal stud using "4-4disc.dat"

HTTP://is-sv.link.pt/~rmsm/lego/nstud.png

Should be
   HTTP://is-sv.link.pt/~rmsm/lego/primitives/nstud.png

A stud using a changed "4-4disc.dat"

HTTP://is-sv.link.pt/~rmsm/lego/xstud.png

Should be
   HTTP://is-sv.link.pt/~rmsm/lego/primitives/xstud.png

the "2-4disc.dat" change will be similar

Also note that this change will correct the T junctions problems found in many
parts (what I have previously called BAD MODELING in reply to "stld2dat" mails)

Also I forget to mention that this reduces the number of
triangles by 2 (for each stud) isn't that great ?

See ya

Rui Martins