 CAD / Development / 3806
Re: What would you want in a new LEGO(R) CAD System?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:31:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev Tore Eriksson <tore.eriksson@mbox325.swipnet.se>
wrote:
If it makes parts authoring more complicated, I'm against! The .DAT format has some weak points that needs refining, but
the strongest point is the relatively low learning threshold.

I agree with Tore here.  There is a trememdous amount of parts out for
LDraw now and the .dat file format is unquestionably the most popular
system for creating virtual Lego models on the internet.  I would be
against developing a new system separate from LDraw, when the system
fulfills the community's needs.  Until TLG comes out with a CAD system
that fits our needs like LDraw does and offers trememdous improvement,
I believe LDraw will remain to be the standard.

Pretty much, I tend to downplay any unofficial system which tries to
compete with LDraw. :)

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org