 CAD / Development / 3757
Re: Primitives to Hi-Res or not...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 14:14:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Imre Papp writes:
[snip]
Further we might need even higher resolution primitives (96?, 120?) if we
start modelling curved train tracks or road patterned baseplates. ( I remember
that somebody had problems with that.)
[snip]

One note about those curved tracks:

Because of part details, circular primitives can't be used efficiently for
modelling curved tracks. I refer to the tapering at both ends and the saw-
theeth top of the oudside curve that one encounters with the old style
4.5V/12V track, and also to the gaps and partly tilted sides that are a
property of the new 9V track. Primitives with poligon sides based on a regular
subdevision of a (full) circle are simply "out of phase" with the dimensions
of teeth, tapered ends and gaps.
If you feel you don't agree with me, FCTT ! (First Count Those Teeth)

Currendly I've submitted 3 curved track parts, defined with faces, lines,
optional lines, and only a few bottom stud primitives. I've based the poligon
lentgth on the dimension of a row with 3 top-teeth, so this group of teeth and
the poligon side have the same "wavelength" and their endpoints in common.
I've calculated the poligon faces with a custom build Autolisp program, a
language belonging to the CAD program I use at work.
I expect the track parts will be in the upcomming vote. I'm still working on
#3230b, being the slotted version of the 4,5V/12V inside curve.

Ofcourse, Hi-Res primitives will still be needed in other cases.

Greetings, M. Moolhuysen.