 CAD / Development / 350
Re: DAT voting page up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:05:09 GMT

I've thought about this also.  A while back we discussed adding a feature
that would remember the file and line number for each pixel in an
LDLite-created  image.
You could use this information to strip out non-visible lines
before exporting to POV, assuming camera angles were the same.
It would probably help a lot on huge scenes, and would not be too
much of a processing hit in an L3P-style program where the files
are all stored in memory and could easily have a "in-use" bit added.

LDLite 1.6 will have a new "trivial rejection" optimization, where I check
to see if the closest vertex of a triangle is closer than the farthest away
zbuffer values in that region, and if not the triangle is skipped over
before many of the computations are done.  There are a lot of polygons
that fall into that cataegory in your typical LDRAW image.

-gyug

Earls HouseHold wrote:

Lars C. Hassing wrote in message
Yes, there is a huge amount of studs hiding inside other bricks.
Anybody got an intelligent algorithm? This would be applicable
for LDLite too and save a lot of unnecessary rendering. However,
watch out for transparent bricks...
/Lars

Geez, Lars, ( smacking my head with a very large blunt object ) I hadn't
thought of that one!  Oh, well, back to the drawing board.  Thanks for the
idea it may save me some debugging time.

Roy