 CAD / Development / 366
Re: DAT voting page up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 12:33:24 GMT

Paul Gyugyi wrote in message <36D655B5.93F4637D@gyugyi.com>...
I've thought about this also.  A while back we discussed adding a feature
that would remember the file and line number for each pixel in an
LDLite-created  image.
You could use this information to strip out non-visible lines
before exporting to POV, assuming camera angles were the same.
It would probably help a lot on huge scenes, and would not be too
much of a processing hit in an L3P-style program where the files
are all stored in memory and could easily have a "in-use" bit added.

LDLite 1.6 will have a new "trivial rejection" optimization, where I check
to see if the closest vertex of a triangle is closer than the farthest away
zbuffer values in that region, and if not the triangle is skipped over
before many of the computations are done.  There are a lot of polygons
that fall into that cataegory in your typical LDRAW image.

That sounds great Paul.  What I've been doing is working with the internal
scripting of Rhino to stripe and weld the internal structure.  Since I use
the DATs via DXF conversion and I use POV objects by parseing out the CSGs
into a command file and then converting that to a mesh and then throw it all
into the bag and shake REAL hard I've come to the conclusion that I may be
on the wrong trail.  I'm looking into useing a external noe to do this and
convert to Rhino format.  We'll see.....

Roy