 CAD / Development / 3396
Re: Old Parts replaced by Newer Versions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 23:01:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, James Jackson writes:
Currently, my biggest pet peeve is 4212.dat, the 4 x 10 x 2/3 car base. The • new
version actually 4 x 10 x 18/24, the square section in the center has been • sunk
fruther in so that 2x2x2 town chairs in down to the first plate level. One • long
plate can no longer fit across the bottom, and the Technic peg hole is gone. I
had to manually rebuild this piece into 4212A.dat, The 1980 version of the • same
part. I hope it's arrival is well received.
    If you look hard enough, you will see small differences in the regular
bricks and plates. 4085.dat, the 1x1 horizontal clip is also structurally
different.
    James J.

In lugnet.cad.dev, Chris Dee writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Jamie Obrien writes:
Hi, I was just looking over some of my older space sets, and was
wondering whether the parts in LDraw should include the older versions
of parts that have been upgraded over the years?
For example

my older versions of
3475.DAT      Plate  1 x  2 with Jet Engine

are slightly smaller, and also don't have the recessed axle connector
inside of the side engine pod. There are a couple others like tool
clips and some I can't remeber, but should there be alternate pieces
for these, or just use the newer versions.

But for a part like:

4081.DAT      Plate  1 x  1 with Clip Light

the older version used a narrower seperator on the circular clip
section that allowed a plate to connect to it and remain level at the
edge of the plate. So the piece is different, or mayb evolved, but
still different enough to be included.

Any comments or pointers?

Jamie Obrien
jamien@interworx.com.au

In general, yes, we try to include variants where these are either visibly
different (like solid-stud vs. hollow stud minifig heads), or functionally
different.

It's all a matter of priority (and access to the parts themseleves). What is
most important - new parts or variants of already modelled parts?

Chris

Yes there are actually (at least) three different versions of 4085 which
increasingly strengthen the structure of the clip. The oldest (type I) version
has the tips of the clip turned in and looks like a "C". The next (type II) has
the outer edges of the clip parallel but still looks delicate. By comparison
the modern (type III), version has a thicker stem and thicker arms to the clip
again with parallel outer edges. The current dat file is closest to type III.

I am not aware of any difference in building capability between these, but the
older versions tend to break more easily.

Chris