 CAD / Development / 3104
Re: Next MLCad Release
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:12:07 GMT

Michael Lachmann wrote:
My suggestions for version 1.6 and above:
- Read Compatibility to LDLite
- Enhanced color requester (support for all possible colors)
- Some sort of explosion drawing mode (my idea was to show the parts which
are added in a step, around the model in a small frame, with an arrow
pointing from the part to the final position of this part, this would be a
step, so the next step would show the model with all parts placed on the
model).

These would be great additions.  It also needs (please please :-)...

- Relative piece rotation.  It should be easy to do this without knowing the
previous rotation values, isn't it just a matrix multiply?
- Put the little "current part" crosshairs over the piece's rotation center
instead of the geometric center.
- Allow rotating around a point other than a part's rotation center (but this
is really more a subpart design issue and less an application design issue...)
(1)

And I think these would be neat but I wouldn't need them...

- More support for LEdit hot-keys.  e.g. support for "/"-style menus, maybe a
pop-up menu triggered by pressing the "/" key or some such.
- More hotkeys in the GUI; e.g. the "Select Part" dialog box has no hotkeys
for the different controls.
- Allow sorting the list in the "Select Part" dialog by part description as
well as part number.
- Bugfix:  the view angle "left" actually shows the right-hand side;
vice-versa for viewing angle "right".
- Let the part count report count pieces in sub-models as well.

I'm not so much worried about speed or cutting-edge features or stuff like
that.  Usability and look-and-feel compatability will make or break any
application.  But I'm really excited about MLCad.  I think you're doing a
great job!  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Can you tell I'm a big rotation fan?  (2)

2.  No pun intended...  :-P

Jeremy: "Hi, my name is Jeremy Sproat, and I'm a...Slashdot Lemming."
All:    "Hi, Jeremy."