 CAD / Development / 2645
Re: i admit i was wrong
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 10:51:44 GMT

On Sun, Aug 15, 1999 at 09:50:41AM +0000, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
i am from austraila and i am 18 and studying at university.

Dear Jonathan;
You *must* really want to be a part of this group to keep posting,
but you really should use the shift key.  I'm not sure what your plans
are, but your actions concern me and are driving a large portion of
this group's active members *nuts*.

I **really** don't want to see this group kick someone off.  It sets a bad
example, and might lay the ground work for the group becoming worse.  And
I am willing to help you keep it from being so.

As you may have noticed, these guys try to fill their posts with an
emotional content.  Reading back through your posts, I have noticed that
you are extreamly terse and to the point.  You are throwing them off. I
haven't read a post where you explain how you feel.  Even after all these
posts about kicking you off.

Did you realize your error when you asked about parts when the gentleman
said he'd be gone while trying to get his daughter back via legal action?
This man was having his heart ripped out slowly.  People where feeling his
pain.  Your question about his work on parts was jarring and inapropriate.

Do you understand why incomplete parts might irritate people?  Or full
model drawings that use "custom" parts?  Double chekcing your quality is
hard and can be tiresome, but it needs to be done if you submit to these
people.  They have made it a requirement.

While this channel for publishing your work is closed if you do not finish
something, there is nothing wrong for you to post these on a web page of
your own, and leave them for someone else to check out.  Just don't
expect people to want to do the job you didn't!  More likely is that
someone would finish a part you didn't if and only if they want it badly,
and needed a starting point.

It wouldn't be hard to improve your posts immediately, and make yourself
seem much more mature:

Start every post by addressing your target audience.  Explain or hint
strongly at what your message is about.  Break your message into
paragraphs as you change thoughts.  And make sure your conclusion is
forceful and summarizes you post.

Do not forget to always acknowledge other's contributions ("thanks" and
"good job" are always welcomed).  It is (ultimately) what everyone here
wants, including you, so be liberal when it is deserved (There might be
exceptions, but not enought to warrant no praising work done).

Last of all, be **cheerful**.  Even if you aren't really cheerful.  I try
my best to never send an email that is not cheerful.  I have discovered
that if I cannot be cheerful, then I should not be emailing.

An example of my own rules at work, I have re-read my letter twice now
(it's a long one) and have removed several paragraphs that you might have
taken badly, and one that the group probably wouldn't have liked.  This is
part of what is needed to communicate effectively.

You know Johathan, I am really looking forward to your reply, even if it's
only to me, privately.  I think that both you, and this group, can become
better for this whole experience.  Which is what we must all really want.

Ciao!

PS: I read this via email, so I said email where some might be posting.
PPS: I used the word guys generically, I have no clue what the gender make
up is, and I really don't care.

--
Famous Last Words: Was that a gun shot?

The Doctor What: Not that 'who' guy         http://www.gerf.org/~docwhat/