 CAD / Development / 2646
Re: Parts for LDraw or parts for POV-Ray?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 13:45:29 GMT

Joshua Delahunty wrote:

IIRC (this would be from e-mail he sent me that I almost certainly no
longer have,
and is stuff I know because I was making an attempt to port it to a
Windows version):

  You are probably more correct than me, I've never been able to talk to
Carsten and I've never been able to use BriCad, Unix was very hard to
install at that time and I wasn't a programmer (didn't knew much about
computers).

- The dispute was over TLG's rights to "studded trade dress" (my take on
it was that his output looked TOO close to instructions -- especially
his solid colored stud sides)

  You're right, I remember that there was something related to the stud
trade dress (this was discussed a long time ago in the L-CAD list). It's
good to know that TLG have changed their mind and don't care about what
we do.

- I asked him at that point if I could still get the BriCAD 0.75 sources
from him,
but he said he no longer had them; though I would have been welcome to
them.
I don't have btopia sources either.

  If I remember correctly, the sources where available at his page
(before he removed it) but I'm not sure.

- The version most of us knew (0.75 +/-) ran under Linux, using
X-Windows
- The app was really cool, the first of its kind, and looked really
really
nice; but Carsten was a student when he wrote it, so it had some
learning-curve
"features"

  Are there any professional developers writing this kind of
applications here ? I'm not even a computer science student so I can be
excused for having some many bugs. :)

- Take the previous three points, combine them with the facts that we
wanted the source to compile to multiple platforms and have identical
features, and it went into high flux when he decided to rearchitect
it into btopia, and you can imagine that the Windows version never
really got anywhere.  I was waiting for a stable release of btopia
that never came, and it didn't seem worth it once he quit the
project since I didn't like the way btopia had changed (he actually
pulled some features out to redo them, and they never got added
back).

  It's not difficult to have all features work the same way in multiple
platforms, you only need to plan everything before you start. From my
personal experience, removing features to redo them later is not a good
idea, you end up choosing the ones you don't like to write and keep
doing other stuff instead. :)

Leonardo

PS: It's good to know you're back, I didn't care about all this JW talk
until I knew you left the group.