 CAD / Development / 2602
Re: Parts for LDraw or parts for POV-Ray?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:42:40 GMT

Leonardo Zide <leonardo@centroin.com.br> writes:
L3G0 was one the things that got me interested in Lego again but
it's been a while since I last used it so I'm going to ask a stupid
question:
Does it have many parts that are not in LGEO ?
Maybe it would be a good idea to join both libraries in a single,
more complete one. We just would have to make sure that the center of • each
part is in the same place and that they use the same units and axis
direction.

I agree with joining libraries, but the creators of the libraries might
not, especially when parts are in both libraries.  Then which do you
keep?  It may also take a lot of effort to match the scale, coordinate
system, and insertion point of the parts.  I know it was a real pain for
me trying to add an Anton Raves minifig to one of my L3P'd models, and to
mix L2P and L3P output for my Fallingwater landscape.[1]
How do the library authors feel about this?  If I remember correctly,
Lars had a combined LGEO-L3P in mind originally, but Lutz was reluctant.
I have no idea how Anton or Paul feel.
--Bram

[1] There wasn't enough memory to L3P the 10,000 piece landscape, so I
used L2P.  To make things render quicker, I reduced the one LGEO part
needed to a box and a cylinder, but I still had to translate and scale
the landscape correctly to fit the L3P'd building.