 CAD / Development / 2599
Re: i admit i was wrong
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 03:35:40 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:
[...]
Is it possible that certain people have let JW get under their skin to
the point that their emotions may be interfering with their ability to
be rational and fair?

Sure, that's always possible.

The very fact that the question was asked and acknowledged as possible
will in and of itself help matters a great deal, I feel. I shan't
belabor it any more.

Larry, do you remember the discussions on the L-CAD mailing list months ago
when the topic of moving the list to lugnet.cad.dev was being considered by
the group?  Everyone seemed to agree with the gist that reuniting the list
with the groups would be a good thing, but biggers concerns of visibility
won out at the time.  People were concerned that lugnet.cad.dev would be too
easy to find, too easy to post to, and thus that there may be an influx of
newbies and silly or annoying questions, etc.

Hmm... was nodding my head. Then I jerked. Realised that there is a line
between keeping annoying questions to a minimum and stifling new joiners
from learning. I think everyone knows this but it bears repeating just
the same.

The solution, if any, to this problem, if there is one, must be such
that it solves this problem but does not exclude the people that the
cad.dev community must have coming in on a regular basis... people who
are interested, want to learn and contribute, and have the talent,
personality, and work skills to be successful. Enthusiasm is not a
sufficient condition by itself (the JW problem) but it is a necessary
one, as are the others.

The NMRA is dying a slow death because it has inadvertantly erected
barriers to entry and the current membership is dying off. We must not
set up a situation where the cad.dev community suffers the same fate.

I promised as part of the offer to host the list that if problems like that
came up, posting filters could be introduced.  I don't know if Jonathan
followed L-CAD to .cad.dev or showed up out of the blue around that time,
but he suddently became an active participant in lugnet.cad on 17 Feb 1999,
just days after lugnet.cad.dev was created.  In any case, I feel that I have
dishonored the group by not acting more proactively and monitoring the
influx of newbies back in February after the move took place.

Maybe, maybe not. You've a lot going on. That comes back to my committee
argument. We CANNOT as a community ask you to make everything be right
and true all by yourself. You can't do it because of bandwidth, and you
can't do it for legal reasons either. I see elsewhere you're asking
about jurisprudence references. Fair dinkum.

lugnet.