 CAD / Development / 2571
Re: i admit i was wrong
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 18:24:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:
[...]
Is it possible that certain people have let JW get under their skin to
the point that their emotions may be interfering with their ability to
be rational and fair?

Sure, that's always possible.  On the other hand, perhaps they have finally
let JW under their skin to the point that their emotions finally allow them
to be rational and fair -- finally seeing the problem for what it is, in
other words -- and wanting to do something about it instead of ignoring it.

Show me someone with their emotions up at this point and I'll show you
someone who's been very patient and rational for months, and who is finally
now quite sick of all Jonathan's clowning around and would like him to
please stop it once and for all.

I refer in particular to the trend I see among a few people calling for
banishment when I'm not sure that the group as a whole (whatever that
means) is calling for it yet.

No, it certainly isn't calling for it yet, as a whole (although it *should*
be, IMHO.)  It seems almost everyone has been reticent to say things, or has
thought that they were alone in their feelings, or just wants to go along
with whatever the group thinks is best rather than speaking to how they
really feel.  As to banishment, now that the topic is out on the table,
ostracism or banishment is certainly something within the group's means if
it wants to go down that path.  If the group delivered an ultimatum first,
of course, that would much more rational and fair.

Larry, do you remember the discussions on the L-CAD mailing list months ago
when the topic of moving the list to lugnet.cad.dev was being considered by
the group?  Everyone seemed to agree with the gist that reuniting the list
with the groups would be a good thing, but biggers concerns of visibility
won out at the time.  People were concerned that lugnet.cad.dev would be too
easy to find, too easy to post to, and thus that there may be an influx of
newbies and silly or annoying questions, etc.

I promised as part of the offer to host the list that if problems like that
came up, posting filters could be introduced.  I don't know if Jonathan
followed L-CAD to .cad.dev or showed up out of the blue around that time,
but he suddently became an active participant in lugnet.cad on 17 Feb 1999,
just days after lugnet.cad.dev was created.  In any case, I feel that I have
dishonored the group by not acting more proactively and monitoring the
influx of newbies back in February after the move took place.

I'm sorry that I did not yet respond in admin to the concrete proposal
Todd put in place in response to my suggestion about community
committees, but I wonder if some sort of mentoring committee that JW
voluntarily submits his posts to might be a way to go instead of
complete banishment?

I think this subject (mentoring) came up once before:

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=1309

Jacob and Terry went ahead formally then and asked Jonathan in April to
consider entering into a mentorship arrangement.  I've since heard that
Jonathan did accept the idea, but I'm not sure what the details were.
Obviously the agreement didn't include screening posts, otherwise we
wouldn't have seen all the continued garbage in the past four months.
I'm also not aware whether the mentorship arrangment is still in effect
or whether it fizzled or timed out.

--Todd