 CAD / Development / 2598
Re: i admit i was wrong
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 03:26:47 GMT

Mookie wrote:

I never said anything about doing that... I even said Time will tell at
the end of the message.
Though.. to that question.. here's another answer...
When your employer asks you many times to do something, and you still
don't do it how they want.. do you not think they won't fire you?
they'll boot your butt right out the door faster than you can imagine...

Here in the US, yes. Unfortunately that is not the case in all of
Europe, though.

And we're talking about volunteerisim here. Just as a side point I
almost destroyed an entire club once trying to apply the way the working
world works to volunteers.. I was president of a 500 member PC club, and
our BBS sysop was being a real pain. In some ways, kind of like JW. An
ad hoc committee of the membership came to me and asked me to take
action. I went to the Sysop (with the newsletter editor in tow) and told
him rather forthrightly (in that endearingly direct way that I have,
which most of you know and love(?)) that a lot of people were annoyed
with his rather slapdash approach to running the BBS and would he please
knock it off, be more professional, or else he was out.

He took it the wrong way (what a shocker!), and in so doing, the
newsletter editor got rather miffed at me as well. If you think a club
can survive without a BBS that works and a newsletter that gets out on
time, think again. It took me 6 months of politiciking to get things
back on track.

JW is not indispensable, but neither is he firable in the work sense.

The above story is just for what it's worth. I actually agree with
almost everything everyone is saying... but I don't want us to act too
hastily.

lugnet.