 CAD / Development / 2606
Re: i admit i was wrong
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 07:10:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:
[...]
The NMRA is dying a slow death because it has inadvertantly erected
barriers to entry and the current membership is dying off. We must not
set up a situation where the cad.dev community suffers the same fate.
[...]

Indeed!

BTW, if someone is being a major PITA in a group, does that in effect become
a barrier to entry of sorts?  :-/

Todd Lehman wrote:
I promised as part of the offer to host the list that if problems like
that came up, posting filters could be introduced.  [...]

By "posting filters" I didn't quite mean barriers to -entry- (to beginning
to participate, that is) -- although this was one suggestion out on the
table many months ago.

What I meant above is barriers to continued use if someone is being a major
problem and won't stop.  Those barriers are easy to put up if needed.  Think
of them as raising shields.  :-)

It's been done about 2 or 3 times so far, for short periods (someone posted
wildly off-topic in .robotics several times; two people posted auction
updates in non-auction groups), and there are currently no filter in effect.
In all cases so far, IIRC, the group filters were set up to filter out only
a single group (but the filter can be any arbitrarily complex regex applied
to ng names).

--Todd