 CAD / Development / 2556
Re: i admit i was wrong
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:04:37 GMT

I was shocked, by the way, at the NELUG meeting the other night, when
someone who didn't even follow the .cad groups closely had noticed and was
complaining about Jonathan.  It might have been due to the upsets in the
starwars group, I can't recall.

This was me.  I thought I would try and give you all my feelings on what I have
seen from the outside.  I am an LDraw user and like to follow lugnet.cad.dev
but I rarely if ever post there.  I have also seen Jonathan on other groups as
well and have even tried to help him out on occasion.

Here are my views:

1.  Jonathan needs to capitalize and show a bit better grammer.  Now I am not
one to talk about spelling here I am one of the worst spellers I know.  (I even
spelt NELUG wrong when trying to design a logo in LDraw  :) ).  I do try and
watch my spelling but I am not allways successful so I have to give Jonathan
some slack here.

2.  Jonathan has often been disrespectful to others.  I don't know if it is
intentional or not but he has been disrespectful non-the-less.  Here is a link
to another post in this thread that shows what I mean.

     http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=2554

3.  He seems pushy to me with his "why isn't anyone commenting on my parts?"
posts.  First I think Jonathan needs to be more paitent with people getting
back to him.  Most of us do not live and breath LEGO as our lives and have
other things to do then to monitor LUGNET 24 hours a day.  Second I think that
one of the reasons people might not comment on his parts is because they are so
sub-standard that people don't feel they deserve comment.

Jonathan, the LDraw database is full of completed parts to referance.  If one
of your parts seems totally out of place when comparing them to allready
completed parts I think you should just keep working instead of trying to get
others to do your work for you.

4.  I think that Jonathan needs to read the story about "The Little Boy who
Cried Wolf".  Basically the moral of this story is that if you cry for help
unnecessarily then people will stop paying attention to you and then when you
trully have a valid question or problem you probably won't get an answer
because people are ignoring you.

5.  I feel that to ostracize anyone is an extreme measure for extreme
circumstances.  I think that this thread should be a lesson to Jonathan and he
should be given a chance to learn from this lesson.  If he does not learn from
this then I think his ostracism might be warrented for the sake of the group.
I don't think that this step should be taken lightly at all however but if the
health of the group is at stake then it must be considered.

6.  Jonathan might be better served building models in LDraw instead of trying
to design parts.  Now I know that not every part has been done but I think
there are enough sets out there to keep him busy for a long time.  Then maybe
when Jonathan runs into a missing part he could document it and submit it to a
"Missing parts DB" without demanding that a part be completed for him.  This
seems like a constructive compromise to me as long as the models are done in a
quality manner.  It would help build the model database while building a
"Missing parts DB" at the same time.

Well that is my 2 cents from someone on the outside looking in.

Eric Kingsley

Remove ".nospam" when replying by E-mail.