 CAD / Development / 2551
Re: i admit i was wrong
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:38:04 GMT

Has anyone else left the group because of Jonathan Wilson's behavior?

Has anyone considered it?

--Todd

Hi Todd,
It seems like some people may be on the verge, but I don't believe anyone
else has really left the group.  I think they would let you know if they had
as a curtesy like Joshua did.  I've noticed over the past month that there
haven't been that many new postings and follow ups by some of the original
LCAD group.  But I also remember that there were always slumps in LCAD
postings.  I certainly hope no one is leaving because of Jonathan's
postings.

S>If anyone considers leaving a group
S> just because of a boring and irritating  participant, it's his/her own
S> problem I think. There is many possibilities like killfile or just
marking
S> anything from him as read.

I agree completely.  As Joshua mentioned before:

   JD> It got really terrifically boring reading the same ol'
   JD> shtuff over and over again, anyway.  I'd say that Jonathan
   JD> Wilson was the last straw for me.

Jonathan was just 'the straw that broke the camels back'.  Which means there
were a whole 'lotta' straws on his back before Jonathan came along.  Also,
Jonathan posts to a number of groups besides the lugnet.cad.* groups, and it
doesn't seem like postings are going down in those other groups.

S> For the grammar of his messages, yes it is very irritating, too, but
besides
S> the above also applies here, just think about the very near future of the
S> Lugnet when a flood of non-adults arrives here. I can't managed to see
more
S> than a handful of teens using appropriate punctuation in their messages
S> (especially from US..:-).

just may 0.02 TL..:-) (too much less from 0.02 cents.)

Selçuk

I don't think many of us use absolutely perfect grammar when writing email.
However, we do try.  I think the main point of contention here is his use of
lowercase letters:

Jonathan Wilson wrote:
i admit i was wrong in trying to do so many parts so fast.
i will take the groups suggestion that i work ion one part untill it is
really ready then start on the next one. the first part i will do is the
baseplate 32 x 32 raised with ramp.
then i will do the frame for the jail cell door folowed by the archery
target. i have fixed all the problems with the baseplate that i can
find.

His sentence structure isn't bad (granted, I'm no English teacher, but
compared to my postings and others it seems to be acceptable for emails).
As far as lowercase letters go:  it makes it really hard to read because you
can't easily see where one sentence stops and the next one starts.  But,
Jonathan is not the only one on lugnet who types messages in lowercase.

I'm not trying to be Jonathan's champion here, I just think we shouldn't
single him out for his email etiquette.  Perhaps Todd can add email
etiquette to Lugnet's rules and regulations.

Ex:  Please attempt to write grammatically correct sentences in your
postings.  Flagrant disregard to grammatical standards can result in denial
of posting privileges.

Just reading over that makes me think of lawsuits, based on discrimination
towards people who are not quite literate in English, or who have some
functional disability to write grammatically correct sentences.  Below are
some direct quotes from Terms of Use for LUGNET.com:

"  4.  LUGNET and its owners and/or operators do not control or censor
       content in discussion groups.  The LUGNET discussion group server
       is provided as a "store and forward" mechanism "as is" without
       filters, which means that you may encounter material which you
       find offensive.  IT IS YOUR SOLE AND INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY
       TO MONITOR OR FILTER CONTENT TO A LEVEL APPROPRIATE TO YOURSELF
       AND/OR YOUR FAMILY.  If you are under 18 years of age, ask your
       parent(s) or guardian(s) for permission and/or supervision before
       using this service and make sure they have read and understood
       this Terms of Use document.

   8.  You understand that LUGNET owners or operators are regular LEGO
       fans just like you, and that when they post to discussion groups,
       their opinions and comments are their own and do not necessarily
       reflect the opinions or policies of LUGNET.

   9.  You understand that LUGNET and its owners and/or operators have
       no obligation to acknowledge, mediate, or otherwise settle any
       disputes or differences of opinion which may arise between users.

   Although we hope that everyone can play well together, we must
   reserve the right to allow or to refuse access to this site to
   anyone, for any reason, with or without prior warning or explanation."

I don't know how these directly fit in with the current discussion about
Jonathan, but after reading them I thought they might have some relevance.

Getting back to lugnet.cad.*:  If you don't like it vote against it.  That
is our way of policing part author contributions.  And if you don't want to
read someone's post set up a filter.

In defense of Jonathan:  He is obviously very enthusiastic about the LDraw
project.  He jumped in before getting both feet wet, but he is learning.
That may not be the best way to learn a new hobby or craft, but it's his way
of doing things, and I'm not going to criticize him because he approaches a
problem differently than me.  His 'gimme gimme' attitude is the only thing
that ever annoys me, but I have a lot of friends with very annoying habits,
and I chose to ignore them because the good outweigh the bad.  Jonathan's
good traits in my opinion are: enthusiasm, an interest in LDraw, an interest
in Lego, his parts are getting better, and he is eager to correct them when
a problem is found- this tells me he really wants to make quality parts and
is learning how to.

I wish negative critical posts would stop on lugnet.*.  We should focus on
positive constructive critical posts.  In my opinion the negative posts do
more harm to our community than the people/posts they are criticizing.
Another good trait that you can add to the list above:  I don't think
Jonathan has ever posted a negative criticism about anyone.

Just my 2cents worth,
Adam