 CAD / Development / 2553
Re: i admit i was wrong
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:48:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, "Adam Howard" <abhoward10@hotmail.com> writes:
[...]
Getting back to lugnet.cad.*:  If you don't like it vote against it.  That
is our way of policing part author contributions.

There's no way to vote out a whole person if that person has repeatedly
demonstrated an inability to create parts that pass??  Why would you not
want to silence a noise at its source?  I don't understand.

And if you don't want to read someone's post set up a filter.
[...]

So put the burden on everyone at their end, rather than fixing the problem
at its source.  And to heck with anyone who reads using the web, because it
doesn't have filters like that.  And by letting everyone set up filters,
make the group less attractive to outsiders (since everyone inside the group
is ignoring the problem).  That's what you're saying.  I don't understand.

In defense of Jonathan:  He is obviously very enthusiastic about the LDraw
project.

Why does enthusiasm count more than quality?  I don't understand.

He jumped in before getting both feet wet, but he is learning.
That may not be the best way to learn a new hobby or craft, but it's his way
of doing things, and I'm not going to criticize him because he approaches a
problem differently than me.  His 'gimme gimme' attitude is the only thing
that ever annoys me, but I have a lot of friends with very annoying habits,
and I chose to ignore them because the good outweigh the bad.  Jonathan's
good traits in my opinion are: enthusiasm, an interest in LDraw, an interest
in Lego, his parts are getting better,

But they're still not good enough, are they.  That's all that really should
fundamentally matter, I would think.

and he is eager to correct them when
a problem is found- this tells me he really wants to make quality parts and
is learning how to.

This tells me that he is careless and that he does -not- really wnat to make
quality parts.  Other people are the ones finding errors, not him.  And the
errors people have found have been obvious ones, not subtle ones.

I wish negative critical posts would stop on lugnet.*.  We should focus on
positive constructive critical posts.  In my opinion the negative posts do
more harm to our community than the people/posts they are criticizing.

I do too.  I must post half or more of the negative critical posts, so if I
can change my ways, that'll cut down on things a lot.

Another good trait that you can add to the list above:  I don't think
Jonathan has ever posted a negative criticism about anyone.

It's there if you read between the lines.  Take this, for example:

   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/?n=2320

--Todd