 CAD / Development / 222
Re: Noting gaps in parts sequences
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:33:46 GMT

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999 23:10:05 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman)
wrote:

I just noticed that the oilcan is missing from the 6246 group:

  http://www.lugnet.com/ldraw/parts/?c=7&n1=6246&n2=6246

Is this because it hasn't been modeled yet (maybe due to its complexity?) or is
it just located elsewhere for some historical reason?

It hasn't been modeled yet because I wanted to get the other parts
released without waiting for the oilcan.  Then I got distracted.  It
will be a bit more challenging than the other tools, but now that I've
got the LDAO Lathe, and have some experience at joining cylinders on odd
angles, most of it will be straight-forward.

Anyway, presumably it would go in as 6246F when it does go in?

Right.  6246 is actually the number for the complete set of tools on the
sprue.  Since each tool doesn't have its own number, the alpha suffixes
were used, instead of using up 5 (eventually 6) numbers from the 3-digit
range.

Is there any use in creating renderable placeholders for such elements? --

I think there'd a lot of use in that.  Having as many parts-images as
possible for reference would be a good thing.  The trick is to find
parts where no part number exists on the part.

something that causes the element to render visually as "Under construction" or
as a short name (e.g., "Oilcan")?  Or does that just create a versioning
quagmire?

There's a set of 1x1 bricks with letters and numbers, currently includes
the letters A-Z, AE, and the numerals 0-7 (thanks to Tore for making
them).  You could use these to create message-based placeholders.

A utility to create DAT files of these bricks from text strings would be
handy. Probably would be a very short Perl macro, since the bricks are
all the same name, with the alphanumeral appended before the .dat
extension.  Assuming Perl could increment the X position based on the
character's position in the string.  In BASIC, it would be

Sub Main(ByVal sMsg As String)
  Dim i As Integer

  For i = 1 to Len(sMsg)
     Print "1 16 " + Str$(i * 20) + " 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3005-" _
           + LCase$(Mid$(sMsg, i, 1)) + ".dat"
  Next i
End Sub

... ignoring niceties such as centering the text, breaking it up into
multiple lines, etc.

If you wanted to use simplified mockup files, just use the header:

0 {Part Name} (needs work)
0 File: {part number}.dat
0 Author: {Author name}
0 Unofficial Element

If there's no obvious part number stamped on the part, you'd want to
coordinate with the part-numbering police squad to avoid mis-matches.

Steve