 CAD / Development / 1854
Re: How big is your VEC dir?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 04:09:59 GMT

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999 17:40:41 GMT, Sproaticus <jsproat@geocities.com> wrote:

...Mine is 79 Mb in size after 9902 parts update.  For speed, I don't want
to go GIF or JPEG, and I'm not too crazy about reducing the rendering size
for the VEC.

Question #1:  Will Image Magick convert 24-bit BMPs to 8-bit?

Question #2:  Has anyone converted their VEC dir to GIF or JPEG, and how
much slower is it really?

Just to provide a more-or-less final answer to this question, Image Magick
includes mogrify.exe, which is designed to do mass file conversions.  Using
mogrify, I converted all the VEC images to BMP-RLE format.  Which took the
VEC down to 6.5MB.  That's with shading turned on in LDLite, 80% oblique
view on most parts, baseplates at 45% above view.

The command line is:

cd \ldraw\vec
[IM path]\mogrify -colors 256 -compress RunlengthEncoded *.bmp

Then wait several minutes.  If you're really bored, monitor progress with
Explorer (watch the directory size go down).

This has a double-plus good impact on the load time of the VEC, especially
of the Baseplates category.

Steve