 CAD / Development / 1701
Re: 99-03 Voting: Quick Comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 07:19:34 GMT

On Thu, 13 May 1999 10:02:32 GMT, "Moz (Chris Moseley)" <moz1@ihug.com.au>
wrote:

-- Terry K --
Why not run a tap through the molded nut to make the threads?  Same idea as
cutting the axle.

Coz they didn't? The nut is a unique part, as far as I can tell. It is round,
and ribbed on the outside (ribs parallel to the axle), and I've never seen
a part that could be machined down to make it. (well, not easily, you could
probably start with a 40T gear...)

Moz

Just spouting off a theory without any actual knowledge.  :-)
I was just theorizing that it would probably be simpler and more accurate to
mold the basic nut shape, and then run a threaded tap through it to create
threads.  At least it seems to me to be easier to produce it that way, rather
than making an actual threaded mold piece.  Unless they molded it in two halves
and then fastened them together - which presents other problems.

It all boils down to me just rambling about the subject.....

-- Terry K --