 CAD / Development / 1628
Re: Discussion-Large Technic Shock 2909c01.dat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 21:47:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Terry Keller writes:

I would like to ask Onyx (you reading this, Jeff?) if he could whip up a quick
sample based on this idea and we could try some tests.

-- Terry K --

i *am* reading (although i've been out of the loop for a couple of weeks, had
to go off and be "best man" at my best friend's wedding)...

i *like* karim's idea... but... i don't know if that would just be
complicating a process that we could pretty much already use with the subparts
i've already supplied... here would be my method:
(in fact, this is how the total spring shortcut is built... end users could
just build their own spring length using fewer "coil" sections)

place 1/2 of plastic spring...
place other 1/2 half of plastic spring... align each so that they are in
whatever position desired...

now karim is saying to place 2 halves of the spring coil and rotate them so
that their ends align, "compressed" into a position that matches the 2 plastic
halves.. hmmmm.. seems like that would just involve builing more sub
assemblies to do what you can already do with the parts i've supplied...

i built a single (360 degree) spring "coil" (a helix that wraps around the
plastic shaft at an incline) and a spring "wrap" (a circle that wraps around
the plastic shaft with no incline)... the reality of my creation is that the
"wraps" can be used to hide the fact that the ends of the coils may not reach
exactly to the ends of the spring at different compressions... what i would do
is place the two plastic halves, compressed to suit, then drop a "wrap" or two
on one end, then build the spring using the "coils" until you get near the
other end of the spring... then add a couple more "wraps" to finish the
spring... this is more or less what i interpret karim to be calling for, only
you don't have to deal with rotations (just let the "wraps" overlap part of
the "coils" incline near the ends) and we don't have to create any more sub
parts of this element...

it's more work perhaps, but it gives us ultimate flexibility... besides,  i
don't think there's any way to avoid having to do a little work when using
this element, it's just complicated as hell...

if this explanation is unclear... take a *close* look at the spring shortcut i
supplied, you can see what i mean... the "wraps" collide with the "coils" at
each end of the spring.. they hide the fact that i didn't want to calculate
out *exactly* how many 360 degree coils/spring length it would take to make
this align perfectly... it looks fine and was "close enough" in precision for
what we needed.. i think this would work in all cases...