 CAD / Development / 1605
Re: Discussion-Large Technic Shock 2909c01.dat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 02:04:55 GMT

On Sun, 9 May 1999 15:43:47 GMT, Karim <knassar@mindspring.com> wrote:

Terry K wrote:

Hi all,

There is a problem with this piece. We need to decide how to best add it to the
inventory.
Unlike the 731.dat/732.dat Technic Shock Small, we can't just divide it into
two pieces. It works for the small shock because the spring is hidden inside
the body of the part. Moving the two pieces together or apart looks pretty
good.
This piece, 2909c01, has this external spring. We must decide on a different
way of handling it. Some proposals:

I have a fourth idea.  It's a bit difficult to explain, but I'll try to
make it clear:

There would be a total of 3 pieces to make up the shock:

A) Shock lower w/ half of spring
B) Shock upper
C) Spring upper half

Since the spiral is fairly constant (except for the two extreme ends)
over the length of the spring, one could make a spring at any length by
moving the spring halves closer together and then rotating the upper
half until the spiral ends are coincident.

So, the process for building a Shock of 'x' length is:

1) Place Part "A" at desired location.
2) Place Part "B" at desired location and 'x' distance from part "A".
3) Place Part "C" at correct position relative to Part "B".
[at this point, the spring will look funny because the two halves will
overlap and be mis-aligned in the middle of the run of the spring.]
4) Rotate Part "C" until spiral is coincident with Spring segment of
Part "A".

Ideally, the origin for part "C" should match that of part "B", to make
insertion easier.

--Karim

Leave it to Karim to be clever.  :-)

A very interesting idea.  I am somewhat chagrined to have not thought of it
myself.  The only difficulty is the precise rotation needed.
But I expect that the simplest way of using this assembly will be by making a
shock subfile for your model.  Doing it that way would simplify the rotational
difficulties.  Much easier than trying to place the pieces, at angles, in a
model an then trying to adjust the length and rotate the spring section.

I would like to ask Onyx (you reading this, Jeff?) if he could whip up a quick
sample based on this idea and we could try some tests.

-- Terry K --