 CAD / Development / 116
Re: DOS Makelist (was Re: Uber-install (was Re: Organizing the Si te Revamp))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:04:13 GMT

Steve wrote:
Umm, that would be really great if you did that.  We never came up with
a replacement for James' original makelist.exe (which can only handle
1000 parts).

jsproat wrote:
Why the limitation on 1000 parts?  Have all the makelist implementations
shelled out to call sort.exe?  I'm sure there's a quicksort call in the • ANSI
C libraries, and stl has some great capabilities for those of the C++
persuasion...

Don't we really have a working makelist?
What about makelst2, makelst3, makelis4, makelisb, makelisc, ...

If you would like me to, I can quickly make a small and fast makelist
using my good old reliable 1988-"Borland TurboC" that I use for L3P.

It is actually rather simple to solve the main problem: don't use
temporary files and pipes and the DOS sort.exe program, but sort
internally (using qsort() in C). It is much faster too. Keeping e.g.
1500 lines in memory just takes up 1500 x 80 = 120,000 bytes,
so don't stop making new parts.

How abount case-insensitive sorting? Is it required? No problem.
How about number sorting? Do you want 3100 before 30010?
/Lars