 CAD / Development / 1137
Re: part: brick 1 x 2 with computer screen and buttons pattern
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 02:39:27 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, wilsonj@xoommail.com (jonathan wilson) writes:
But I think you would benefit from having either a scan of the face
of the element or a copy of the actual element in hand.

do you have one you can scan?

Yes, I have several.  And I have a scanner.  But I won't scan them for you
until you have either shown us that you can do a good job on at least one
other part first, or, alternatively, if you agree to focus on this part
until you get it right, I think this would be a good 2D exercise for you,
and I would scan it for you.

The three buttons along
the right, you have as being square, but they're actually supposed to be
circular.  The positioning is also a bit off:  you have the three buttons
taking up the entire vertical face of the brick, but on the real element,
there is room for four buttons, with only the top three appearing.  That
is, it's as if the real element had four buttons, the bottom one being
white (i.e. invisible).

thanks for the tip.
i think i will post more of my ready for vote parts to get feedback as to
which ones are realy ready.

I am reminded of my cat, who has taught me that if I ask him to roll over
and he rolls over, he will get food.

You are teaching us that if you take a casual approach to quality, we will
spend our time fixing your mistakes.  Mistakes that you could easily have
noticed, diagnosed, and fixed yourself if you worked from real parts.

Tsk, tsk.

As far as the decorations on the monitor go, I think parts authors try
to get the image as accurate as possible.  It's going to be difficult
to represent the Danish[1] text on the screen that small, but it should
be possible to represent the general flow more accurately, including
the visage in the lower right corner.

at that scale the square i have used for the part is the best i can get
and not have the part look crap as smaller zoom levels.

Do you mean that you knew how to place a circle there, and you knew that
the real element used a circle, but that you chose to approximate the circle
using a square because LDraw renders small squares more nicely than it
renders small circles?

Even with squares in place of circles, you can still do better (more
accurate) with the placement of the squares.

I think the horizontal bars you used to represent the text are a good
approximation, except that the bars don't match the horizontal character
positions (they look like they were randomly conceived or drawn from
memory).

--Todd