 CAD / Development / 11130
Re: LDVIEW not working on Vista
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2011 18:29:43 GMT

Travis Cobbs wrote:

Since he said it worked when launched from the installer,

This seems to indicate a problem with Win 7 write protection of the
"C:\Program Files" hierarchy, or the Registry.

Even if you are logged in as Administrator in Win 7, you are not running
with full Administrator rights, *unless* the program you're running has
"install", "setup", and some other combinations of letters that I don't
remember in its name! When starting from the installer, these rights are
inherited by the started program, but not when run in the normal way.

Right clicking the .exe and selecting "Run as Administrator" would be an
easy way to test this hypothesis.

Installing outside of "C:\Program Files" will remove the problem of
"C:\Program Files" being write protected (as we're definitely not trying to
write there anymore), but access with the wrong permission mask to any other
Registry keys than HKEY_CURRENT_USER will fail.

I don't know which language has been used, but Delphi, for example is known
for using 'too much' access as default in the TRegistry.OpenKey call, which
will fail on Vista/Win 7, even if the key is requested for reading only.
This is easily changed (by the programmer) by specifying the exact access
rights that are needed, in the call.

--
Anders Isaksson