 CAD / Development / 10503
Re: LDraw coordinate system driving me crazy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:00:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Roland Melkert wrote:
   Hello all,

I’m having difficulties with the ldraw coordinate system. As fas I understood it it’s Right handed, just like OpenGL. So

I’ve been having difficulty with importing/exporting .dat files from SketchUp. In SketchUp, if you stand at the Origin;

X is right, Y is forward, and Z is up.

The LDraw Primitives Reference (http://www.ldraw.org/library/primref/) says the LDraw axes are:

X is right, Y is down, and Z is forward. Here’s the image from the reference page.

So it first seems like a simple 90 degree rotation around the X axis is all you need to convert between SketchUp and LDraw system, but it doesn’t work in practice. I can’t get the 2 systems to agree on an axes system.